Magos Biologis Data File System
|Warpshadow.com - lore.warpshadow.com - Magos Biologis File System|
Great Wyrm, and Council of Lord Drakes,
Since our first sporadic contacts with Genestealers there have been many misconceptions associated with them. We first thought they were indigenous to the moons of Ymgarl we later determined this to be in err and subsequently conducted a xenocide on said moons. <Ref. GWTC.9> When the hive fleets came upon the imperium, we named the creatures based on the first notable planet to fall before their advance, Tyran. <Ref. GWTC.6>
Initial scientific and intelligence reports indicated that the creatures were akin to hive insects and that they were basically all the same race with significant bioengineering accounting for the diverse forms. Recent encounters with the hive fleet designated Harbinger have caused us to reassess our position. Through the actions of the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Apothicarian conclave we have been able to examine and report in depth on the physical and mental characteristics of many creatures from this hive fleet. Subjects were captured by the Honored 1st cohort Wyverns, under Dragon Priest Tanner,using stasis field generators produced by Grand Artificer Keplars' Talosfactories. This allowed for some of the first living examinations of many tyranid organisms. The results are nothing short of astounding.
Preliminary attempts to classify the biology of the creatures met with considerable difficulty due to the existence on multiple redundant systems for respiration and circulation. Skeletal systems were internal as well as external thus allowing for little internal, space but providing exceptional resilience and strength. It was determined by examination of 27 different creatures with 22 different morphologies that the creatures are not in fact the same "race". They do have many similar characteristics, which leads us to our next point. NOTE: All of the large specimens carried at least 3 very small parasites or symbiotes. <Ref MBf.12575-12577>Two varieties of these carried bacterium lethal to humans. <RefMBf.12868>Radiation in high doses proves fatal to these particular strains. RECOMMEND:Li6 bombing of any cleansed areas to prevent outbreak.
Typical physiological within "Tyranids"
"Tyranids" may be described as a convergent rather than divergent form of life. DNA, RNA and other tests show that there are several creatures that have evolutionary ancestors within the group, however others show no connection. Convergent life takes a form and only adapts it by removing others from the ecosystem, usurping their place, absorbing them, and mimicking those aspects deemed useful for continued survival. As these creatures enter a biosphere they systematically eliminate all biomass, feeding upon not only the nutritional content but the evolutionary history as well . Within the Hiveships there exist great broodchambers, wherein lie the sleeping and maturing warriors of the hivefleet.As new genetic information is gained this in-turn is relayed to the sleeping metamorphosing creatures in a process similar to that of the Space marineOmopphagea.In this way they are able to adapt to new atmospheres and poisons very quickly by making modifications to their own metabolism while still in the developmental stage. Hormogaunts, which were thought to be a recent adaptation,seem to be nearly as ancient as all the other Termagauntus. Perhaps there are creatures within the hivefleets which have not awakened in eons, which when we dosee them we will mistakenly believe to be new creatures, ratherthan adaptive killers brought about by a millennia of sporadic evolution.
matter of considerable import is that of the so-called "HiveMind". With
the help of the Epistolary Drukha, we were able to determine which
creatures had "True" intelligence and which seemed to rely only on
instinct when isolated from the "HiveMind". Examination and comparison
of bestial creatures versus higher organisms noted a significant biological
difference within the creatures brains. Hivenode creatures < Tyranicus
Tyranicii, Tyranicii Preafeceta> both were found to harbor a complex
truncated organ within the brain which seems to be the source of psychic
control of lower organisms. In genestealers this organ emits a psychic
energy field powerful enough to tear through most armor. Zoanthropii
have the most pronounced use, allowing them to hurl bolts of force
destroying battle tanks. Three types of organs were found, Master,
Independent and Slave. Master organs constantly radiate thoughts
and commands as well as read stimulus from other organs capable of
overriding the control of the Slave brain through the organ. Independent
organs receive but do not broadcast any slaver signal. Slave
organs require stimulus from master organs and many creatures with
this organ function only
on instinct when removed from Master influence. EXAMPLE: When placed
of a Tyranicii Preafeceta, both all Termagauntus behavedsimilarly.When
the stimulus was removed the Gargoylisii and Termagauntii both exhibited
diminished faculties while the Hormaguantii became completely animalistic.In
this organ emits a psychic energy field through their claws powerful
enough to tear through most armor. <REF.MBf[autopsy]1099> Cerebrumea
have the most pronounced use, allowing them to hurl bolts of force
capableof destroying battle tanks. Thus it could be possible to jam
and disrupt the orchestration of the entire attack.We are currently
working on developing a modulator, which will cause excessive feedback
to the source. <Ref.TFk.17534>
The Hive Fleet is quite literally a mobile ecosystem. It must be capable of sustaining itself for unimaginably long periods of time if they crossed the intergalactic void. All the individual creatures have become symbiotic with one another many depending on others for food or defense or guidance. Within the hive ships, individual "creatures" have been seen to act like blood cells, but examination of these indicates they are in fact part of the hive ship,not a separate creature at all. Thus their self-destructive behavior is understandable in protection of the body whole.
* - links indicate an image is available
** - vocalizations of each creature have been added as WAV files, these are typical sounds where possible.
Note: Individual Weapons, ammunition, and specialty creatures have not been included, as each typically has its own designation due to the lack of visible linear evolution. Example: Phytomasts Dirumpi-Spore mines
Toxicology Report - Lictor < PreafecteaCaecusea> "Venom"The venom overwhelms even space marine augmented physiology by taking a shotgun approach. It is a mixture of highly reactive inorganic poisons, hemotoxins, aflotoxins, neurotoxins, acidic nodules and phage cells. Within the marine body most of these are dealt with quickly but it appears that the phage cells are very destructive very quickly, seemingly being excited to action by the bodies attempts to destroy them. They mimic the outer surface of native cells and set about destroying anything that they encounter. They do this by locking onto receptors on the outside of the cells and then releasing a matching permanent block onto them shutting down the cells function. This damage in effect turns the Larramens cells on overdrive causing blocked blood vessels on a bodily scale. We have been unable to create a systemic defense other than treatment with P.A.R.at double normal levels within minutes of exposure. This is standard in all apothecary med-kits.
Apothcariate Master Curairus
Addendum.Subtext><subject. Structural durability of Tyranids>
The surprising biological durability of Tyranids is of direct interest to the forces of the Imperium. What follows is analysis of tyranid biological defenses to projectile and directed energy weaponry. Subset <imperial armory>
1. Muscular: The muscular sheath within all the creatures of the hive fleets<known> exhibit a cross threaded fibrous nature which is as effective as standard issue bf430.Flak Armor. Primarily defensive against projectiles, this is a major factor within the organism,once primary defensive chitin and tissue have been breached.
2. Skeletal: The thick external chitin shells,coupled with the internal dense silicate rich skeleton offer a high degree of protection from both energy and projectile weapons. The outer carapace is baffled with the internal cysts containing "Tyrgel" a viscose organic liquid (92,987 cps) with astounding thermal capacity. Directed energy weapons are unlikely to cause lethal damage through these areas without being of an anti-armor nature.The protection afforded by the chitin itself is proportional to the density and thickness ranging from 5-14 Moh. The "Tyrgel" also depletes the inertial energy from projectile and fragmentation weapons. All Tyranicus Tyranicii , and Tyranicus Cruentusea and derivatives are exceptionally durable and contain the highest percentage of these cysts. Overall bio-mass density gradient 1.459 with significant proportions allocated to skeleton. [human=1.175]
3. Enzymic: Phage cells <REF ##########>,neutralize any poisons and/or biological attacks. They are also capable of releasing an enzyme which will polymerize the "trygel qv." upon exposure.This is used whenever the cysts are ruptured and seals the breech with remarkable efficiency and avoids the loss of essential bodily fluids.
4. Biological function: as described elsewhere the redundant systems of respiration and circulation, coupled with the lack of digestive systems within most tyranids allows them to sustain extensive non-lethal damage. Termagauntus Termagauntii have been seen to survive the loss of all limbs without expiring due to fluid loss <see enzymic entry>. Many may function for hours or days with severe thoracic damage and may fully recover from seemingly lethal wounds<REF.ravager>. Intense Radiation <REF:SquatFW-thummer> is effective in planetary applications but, hive fleet structures are biologically defended by an as yet unknown means. Thus it is within the evolutionary scope of the tyranids to cope with this threat.
All those attempting to slay tyranidic creatures with ranged weapons should consider this information. Armored areas should NOT be targeted except by anti-armor weapons <plasma, melta etc>. Eyes, neck, and joints are the weakest areas of nearly all tyranidic creatures. However extremity damage is unlikely to ever prove lethal except in extreme instances.